Property Settlements

The Family Court has the power to make orders for property settlement.

All of the assets of the parties involved are taken into account - even if the assets are not in joint names.  Each party has an obligation to full disclose his or her financial position to the Court, and to the other party.

The Court is obliged to make orders which are 'just and equitable' having consideration to:

* the financial contributions of each of the parties;

* the non-financial contributions of each of the parties, particularly in the role of homemaker and parent;

* the future financial position of the parties, including the need to provide for children and the capacity of each of the parties to provide for those children.

An application for property settlement can be commenced at any time up until 12 months after a divorce becomes final.

There are different limitation periods that apply for de facto couples.

Our practice is located outside of the Perth CBD and because of this our hourly rates are 20% lower than the standard rates charged by most Perth law firms.  Our rates are extremely competitive compared to the rates charged by other commercial law firms.

If you would like to make an application for property settlement, then contact us today.