Deeds of Settlement and Release
Deeds of Settlement and Release are used by parties in settling contractual or commercial disputes or legal proceedings.
The Deed must very carefully:
- record the general terms of settlement;
- identify the cause of action or property to which the settlement relates;
- set out releases and indemnities provided by each party which could range from partial releases and indemnities to full and final settlement of all known and unknown claims; and
- provide for confidentiality.
Clients need to receive legal advice before entering into any Deed of Settlement and Release to ensure that the terms of a proposed settlement are suitable to the circumstances.
We advise clients with respect to the terms, and drafting, of Deeds of Settlement and Release, including:
- providing advice as to the legal merits of an offer of settlement;
- drafting a Deed of Settlement and Release to protect the client's interest(s);
- liaising with other parties in relation to terms proposed to be included in a Deed of Settlement and Release; and
- providing advice as to the terms of a Deed of Settlement and Release.